Are you ready to commit to sustainability practices to grow your business and be a better steward of the environment? Today, all companies—big and small—should analyze how sustainability can impact their businesses for their customers, their communities, and the planet.
Environmental sustainability is good for the planet and good for business. Companies that assess, manage, and communicate their environmental performance grow faster than their competitors and help their local communities and the planet thrive.
PG&E is passionate about environmental sustainability and committed to ensuring diverse businesses are strong links in the supply chain with their sustainability practices. Our expert-led courses build confidence, bring valuable expertise, and practical tools and assessments that you can apply in your business today.
This introductory course defines environmental sustainability, why it is important, how to assess your business, and what to measure. You will get an overview of basic sustainability practices, expectations from the utility industry, as well as tools and resources to get you started. Most businesses already have sustainability practices in place, and we will show you how to identify where you are and how to go further. Industry expert Elizabeth Shanley from The Fehlig Group will share pro tips and offer expert advice and guidance.
- Introduce environmental sustainability concepts and terms.
- Discuss the principles and benefits of having a sustainability program, with examples.
- Examine how to measure, report, and implement sustainability programs.
- Better understand utility industry expectations, recommendations, and best practices.
- Learn how to assess your business with a step-by-step process.
- Access industry and trade resources with practical, easy-to-follow guidance to deepen your knowledge.
- Gain insight into material issues, best practices, and trends with case studies.
- Introduction to Sustainability Course Workbook
Course Instructor: Elizabeth Shanley, Impact Advisor, The Fehlig Group
Elizabeth Shanley is a second-generation Impact Advisor for The Fehlig Group, a full-service management consulting firm in sustainability. She was exposed to sustainability at a young age, when her mother, Mary Fehlig, started the business in 1993 to help businesses of all sizes develop comprehensive sustainability strategies. Prior to joining The Fehlig Group, Elizabeth held a number of increasingly responsible positions in the hospitality industry. Leveraging her experiences there, she saw an opportunity to apply the broader approach of sustainability to improve the employee experience in hotels. Since creating The Fehlig Group's unique Employee Engagement Initiative program, she has broadened her involvement in other areas of ESG. Elizabeth and her colleagues assist clients from all industries in the full spectrum of sustainability strategy including environmental management, social impact, workplace practices, and supply chain management.